Looking for Cheap Eye Exams?
When shopping for cheap eye exams, you will find that they all range from $50 up to $75 for a basic exam. To illustrate this point, we put together the following graph. It is completely understandable to want to spend as little as possible on anything one buys. But this is an area where the pricing is pretty consistent between providers. Most vision centers have Optometrists that work alongside their Optical. These eye doctors actually set the eye exam costs so it will vary from location to location. It was surprising that discount retailers like Costco and Sam’s Club actually had the same pricing as regular retailers. However, where you save money is in the optical.
The big question however, is why is finding a cheap eye exam so important. Here are some interesting facts about your eyes that you probably didnt know:
- While most of your body take some time to “warm up”, your eyes remain a peak performance 24 hours a day.
- Eyes heal very quickly. In fact, even a corneal scratch can heal in 48 hours with proper care.
- Seeing is such a big part of everyday life that it requires about half of the brain to get involved.
- Newborns don’t produce tears. They make crying sounds, but the tears don’t start flowing until they are about 4-13 weeks old.
- Around the world, about 39 million people are blind and roughly 6 times that many have some kind of vision impairment.
- The cells in your eye come in different shapes. Rod-shaped cells allow you to see shapes, and cone-shaped cells allow you to see color.
- You blink about 12 times every minute.
- Your eyes are about 1 inch across and weigh about 0.25 ounce.
- Some people are born with two differently colored eyes. This condition is heterochromia.
- Each of your eyes has a small blind spot in the back of the retina where the optic nerve attaches. You don’t notice the hole in your vision because your eyes work together to fill in each other’s blind spot.
- 80% of vision problems worldwide are avoidable or even curable.
For most people, when asked if they would rather lose their teeth or their eyes….choose their teeth. Your eyes are extraordinary and one of the most important organs in your body. So a $10 difference between a good eye exam and a poor eye exam shouldnt matter.
So what should you look for in an eye exam? We have written on this before. You can read the article here.